Thursday, June 13th
4:00 p.m. "Can You See What I See?" Costume Contest!
Create costumes that are decorative search-and-find puzzles in themselves. Registration and packet pick up for costume contest available at 1101 North 1st Street or email email@example.com for details. Judging will begin promptly at 4:00 p.m. inside the National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature, located at 102 Cedar. All participants will receive a prize and the three winners will be awarded a $100 savings bond! (must be festival registrant to participate in contest).
- Visit www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com for some costume ideas!
5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Artwalk theme “Can You See What I See?”
Music, characters, Balloon Man, Mini Moo the Zebu, and Walter Wick book signing opportunity. All Exhibits will be open during Artwalk.
- 5:30 p.m.Seymour’s Cars, Trucks, & Things that Move CALFWalk (mini parade)
Participate in the Seymour parade by wearing your most creative "Can You See What I See?" costume!
Sponsor: Mike Dunnahoo's Star Family of Dealerships
- 6:30 p.m.Artist talk, Paramount Theatre
Walter Wick will share his creative process with an interactive conversation (open to public)
Friday & Saturday June 14th & 15th
- Mr. Wick’s “Can You See What I See?” books will be paired with those listed below for dramatic readings.
- Morning: 9:00, 10:15, 11:30 a.m.,
Afternoon: 12:45, 2:00, 3:15 p.m.
- Dramatic Readings Sponsor: Abilene Teachers Federal Credit Union
*Hands on art activity to follow each reading
- Walter Wick: Games, Gizmos & Toys in the AtticNational Center for Children's Illustrated Literature (NCCIL). To attend opening event, June 12th, visit www.nccil.org
- Can You See What We See?The Center for Contemporary Arts all-member show
May 2013 - June 2013 www.center-arts.com
- Storybook Sculpture GardenHop aboard the Seymour Express to see bronze sculptures of characters by Dr. Seuss and William Joyce - Everman Park
- Can You See Seymour? A three foot Seymour has been hidden at six different locations: Abilene Public Library, NCCIL, Grace Museum, Center for Contemporary Arts, Frontier Texas! and Abilene Zoo.
Present your "Seymour Passport" (free with registration) at each location to have it stamped. Spot Seymour to receive each locations special Seymour sticker that can be found only in Abilene!
Continuous Downtown Events and Activities
Bronze Seymour UnveilingSaturday - Time & Location - TBABe sure to join us downtown as we welcome our newest member to the Storybook Sculpture Project family!
Hop aboard our electric train in Everman Park to see bronze sculptures of characters by Dr. Seuss and William Joyce. Can you see the twenty Seymours waiting for you?... some are hiding!
- While you wait for the next train, enjoy the Abilene Philharmonic's Instrument Petting Zoo! Hold, play and explore a variety of musical instruments used by the Abilene Philharmonic.
Sponsor: First Financial Bank
Balloon Sculptor! Friday & Saturday: 1:00 p.m. - ACU Gallery
David McCullough returns to CALF! Watch David as he creates life sized sculptures out of balloons!
Sponsor: Rentech Boiler Systems
The Magical World of Lonnie ChevrieFriday & Saturday: 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. & 3:00 p.m. - Elks Building
Known throughout the magic community as an inventor, Lonnie performs one-of-a-kind magical creations that you cannot see anywhere else!
Sponsor: Davis Kinard & Co., LLP
Sonny the Bird Man Extraordinaire Friday & Saturday: 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., & 2:00 p.m. - Historic Paramount Theatre
Watch Sonny and his 7 exotic birds of beauty jump through hoops, fly through the air and attempt feats of daring.
Sponsor: Prosperity Bank
Movie: "Tangled" Friday & Saturday: 6:00 p.m. - Historic Paramount Theatre
Sponsor: Laura's Boutique
- Cookie Decorating - McKay's Bakery Friday & Saturday: All Day - minimal additional fee required
- Instrument Petting Zoo - 1124 N. 2nd (by Robert Studios)Ever wanted to hold or even play a strange instrument? Join the Abilene Philharmonic for their Instrument Petting Zoo!
- Bubble Fun with Ron Erdrich - NCCIL Friday 4:00 p.m.
Watch as Abilene Reporter News' Ron Erdrich creates bubbles of all shapes and sizes!
- Mister Mike - Abilene Reporter News parking lot Saturday: TBA - Join award winning singer/ song writer Mark Burrows as he performs some of his hits!
- Face Painting, Friendship Bracelet Making, "Tangled" hairbands, Caricatures & Games Friday & Saturday
Specialty Street Activities
Special Weekend Events
Planetarium Showing with Walter Wick
Friday 9:00 am& Saturday 9:00 a.m.SOLD OUT
Walter Wick will make a personal appearance at the Abilene Planetarium as he presents his latest book, projected on the planetarium dome, "Can You See What I See?: Out of This World." Space snacks will be provided. (seating is very limited, max occupancy 70 people per showing)
(event requires festival pass for each participant)
Planetarium Showings Friday & Saturday: 11:30 a.m., 1:30 & 3:30 p.m.
"Can You See What I See?: Out of This World." Join us for an "out of this world" experience featuring Walter Wick's latest book! (seating very limited, max occupancy 70 people per showing)
Dad's Sunday Fun Day
Sunday: 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Animal Encounters: 1:00 & 2:30 p.m.
Spend Father's Day at the Abilene Zoo! Zoo educators will present a variety of small creatures up close and personal.
Zoo Clue Adventure: 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Pick up your "Zoo Clues" and take your family on a safari to see Abilene's exotic animals. Can you see Seymour at 12 exhibits? (Fun Day ticket allows entrance into Abilene Zoo and 2 events at the Zoo. Souvenir cup and drink included).
Sponsor: Junior League of Abilene
(events require festival pass for each participant)